Baked Spinach-Banana Doughnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted) or your preferred oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or your preferred milk or milk alternative
- 1 (6 oz) bag of fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (approx 1-2 bananas depending on size)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- assorted toppings (optional, see below for our suggestions)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- *if you do not have a donut pan you can make these into muffins, line a muffin tin with liners
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender, add oil, milk and spinach. Blend on high until completely purèed. Add banana and vanilla and blend on low until just mixed in.
- Add the mixture into the dry ingredients and fold together until fully combined.
- Prepare a pastry bag (or use a ziplock bag) and fill with the batter.
- Fill the donut pan with the mixture.
- Bake for approximately 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Prepare a basic icing: powdered sugar, unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or alternative), 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth. Once your donuts are cool, dip the top of your donut into the glaze and place onto a plate. Top with your favorite toppings.
- Topping ideas: dried coconut flakes, mini chocolate chips, pomegranate arils, sliced bananas, oats, sprinkles, dried cranberries, pepitas, sunflower seeds, sprinkles, etc.
- * use organic ingredients whenever possible
- * we highly recommend using organic spinach - spinach is currently ranked #2 on EWG’s Dirty Dozen list for 2017, showing "a sharp increase in pesticide residues on non-organic spinach”, read more here
FreshmadeNYC | Cooking Studio & Events | New York City | SOHO https://freshmadenyc.com/